Textilo+Speaker: Experiment.

The first part of creating a t-shirt that would make screaming sounds using a textilo and a speaker was to create a button. This button has 3 parts to it: neoprene fabric with two pieces of sponge on both ends of the button, two pieces of conductive fabric that had 2 sides that went outside of the button and were used to connect it to textilo and, finally, one piece of resistive fabric in between.

IMG_4857 IMG_4858

The next step was laser cutting and gluing the textilo. Then soldering the NE555 and 10uF and 100uF capacitors. Once the textilo was made, I attached a speaker, battery and the button to it with alligator clips to make sure that it works.


And it did!

Afterwards I started thinking about how I can attach all of these things to a shirt, so I made a couple of drawings and chose the shirt that I would be working with.

IMG_4978 IMG_4977 IMG_4975

First, I decided to attach the battery, because I was sure of where I wanted to position it. I had to make a pocket and attach it on the back of the shirt.

IMG_4979 IMG_4983

Then I decided on the placement of the button and sewed it on the shirt.


Finally, I sewed on the textilo and the speaker. To connect the all the components with the textilo I used conductive thread.

IMG_4996 IMG_4993

I ran into a problem as I was working on the shirt – my speaker fell off, so I had to solder it back on.IMG_4992 IMG_4995   IMG_4988 IMG_4991IMG_4990


Once everything was sewed on, I had another issue with the shirt, because it would only work when you press one of the capacitors into a certain position:

Here is the final version:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Post Navigation